Our curriculum at St Vincent’s Catholic Primary School is carefully designed, organised and planned for depth of learning:
We believe that progress is achieved through the widening and deepening of knowledge, skills, understanding and learning behaviours. Our curriculum maps the knowledge that children will develop as they progress through our school in all areas of the curriculum, along with the skills progression that will enable them to acquire this knowledge. Our aim is not to merely cover content but to achieve a depth to their learning which enables children to use their skills and understanding in all areas of the curriculum.
Our careful curriculum design and planning means that we build in many opportunities for repetition and practise of essential knowledge, skills and understanding in every subject. This ensures that children are able to revisit previous learning, which allows them to gradually develop a deeper understanding of the knowledge and skills within subjects, at their own pace and in the best possible way for each individual child.
Our curriculum also provides children with opportunity to develop the skills of learning; our curriculum design is underpinned by a progression of learning behaviours and skills which move the nature of children’s thinking to a higher order deep level of understanding rather than just acquiring new facts and knowledge.
At St Vincent’s Catholic Primary School we carefully design, plan and implement a curriculum which provides breadth for every child:
We believe that by focusing on the following key priorities our children will be ready to successfully meet the challenges of the next stage of their education and their lives. Our curriculum priorities are:
- Aspirations: we aim to provide experiences which show children the wide range of possibilities available for their future, and which give them the broadest possible opportunities to enjoy success.
- Skills for life-long learning: we aim to offer experiences which help children to develop and learn the skills necessary to be successful learners, for example, resilience, problem solving, communication, independence and resourcefulness
- Personal, social, emotional wellbeing and development: we aim to provide experiences which help our children value themselves and their community so that they grow to be self-aware and socially aware citizens of the future.
We have designed and planned our curriculum to offer a range of experiences which contribute to every child receiving a full and rich curriculum. The range of experiences we offer support school ethos, which ensures that our children benefit from a full range of academic, spiritual, moral, social and cultural activities. These activities enrich their lives and those of our whole school community and make them proud of their British values and aware of the diverse society to which belong and play an active part. We are proud that our curriculum gives our children the skills, confidence and self-belief to lead a happy and fulfilled life by encouraging them to aim high and work towards their goals and dreams in life.
At St Vincent’s Catholic Primary School we carefully design, plan and implement a curriculum to provide balance for every child:
It is our underlying belief that every child should feel valued and experience the feeling of success in a wide range of curriculum areas. We believe that through the curriculum we can impact on how a child perceives and feels about themselves, so that they feel a sense of achievement, are confident and ready to tackle any challenge they may face.
We have designed, organised and planned our curriculum to ensure every child receives an appropriate mix of academic and personal development. We place high priority on ensuring children’s physical, social and emotional wellbeing and we understand that children will not be successful learners unless they are emotionally secure.
We carefully monitor children’s progress with their personal development and our well planned and thoughtful approach to SMSC helps to ensure that every child is well cared for and supported.
Our balanced approach to the curriculum is not at the expense of high standards in core subject areas. High standards and enabling children to reach national expectations and above is of vital importance if they are to succeed at the next stage of their education and go on to achieve full and happy lives and careers.
Our full and rich curriculum, with its excellent range of experiences, ensures that every child at St Vincent’s Catholic Primary School progresses both academically and personally. Our curriculum ensures that every child is given the opportunity to shine and flourish.
- Please have a look at the subject pages listed which provide a subject-by-subject overview of progression in knowledge and skills.
- Please visit the class pages which provide an annual overview and also an overview for each half term to show the learning planned specific to that class
- Speak to your child's class teacher or contact Mrs Long or Mr Vernon who will be happy to discuss our curriculum further with you.